A Great General Use Chainsaw
by Lee Wyatt
(last updated November 24, 2017)
I have long had several old, dead, and troubled trees around my home that needed to be removed in some manner or another. Due to this, I was particularly pleased when I was allowed to test out the Poulan Pro model PP4218AVX. Frankly, I couldn't wait to open the box that this power tool came in so that I could try it out.
(To see a little more about the specifications of the PP4218AVX, then you can go to http://www.poulanpro.com/node4029.aspx?pid=172171. In addition to seeing this chainsaw, you will also be able to see many other Poulan Pro products as well.)
Since this chainsaw was a little larger than others I have used before, I was a little nervous. Luckily, the PP4218AVX was a fairly intuitive tool that I could use. All I really needed to do was read up on the operation manual, get my work gloves on, and then get to work. Here are some of the impressions and experiences that I had when using this powerful home chainsaw.
- Ease of use. When I first got the chainsaw, I must admit that I was a little nervous since each chainsaw requires a specific fuel-oil mixture to properly work. However, as soon as I opened the box that the PP4218AVX came in, my fears were laid to rest. The reason for this is that there was a small bottle of the oil additive that you needed to get the proper fuel mixture.
- Maintenance. Just as with many chainsaws, the Poulan Pro PP4218AVX comes with a fully detailed maintenance manual that explains how you can take care of the chainsaw yourself. There are some simple things that I found to help take care of the chainsaw. These include such things as not digging the chain into the dirt, and also ensuring that the fluid levels are filled up prior to use. After using, wiping the blade down and brush off the wood dust.
- Pros. There are a couple of things that I found to be particularly outstanding with the PP4218AVX. First, is that the there is a chain brake that sticks out just a little bit from the main engine. This brake is a great safety feature that stops the chain when there is a danger of the chain binding. The second thing that I particularly loved was that this chainsaw is extremely intuitive to use, and not to mention how powerful this tool is.
- Cons. Just as with any power tool, there is always something that is a little troublesome. In this case there was only one problem that I really had with the Poulan Pro PP4218AVX, and that was how difficult it was to start the machine. While the manual says that it should be able to start within 5 or 6 pulls, I found that it actually took about 20 or so to get it going that first time. However, once I got it going, it was extremely easy to get it going again for subsequent uses.
- Overall experience. Generally speaking, if you will be doing a lot of cutting around your home, then you can't go wrong with this model. The PP4218AVX is a great general use model that just about anyone can use around the home. In fact, I would have to say that the price of around $150.00 for this model is well worth it.
The Poulan P3314 is a good quality entry-level chainsaw. I found it to be a good solution for light yard work or cutting ...
Electric powered yard equipment can be extremely useful, especially since it is usually lighter than gas powered equipment. ...
When it comes time to begin trimming, cutting back, or otherwise pruning your bushes and hedges, then a garden hedge trimmer ...