Decks and patios can quite often make or break your landscape design. A properly designed deck or patio can easily become a key element of your landscaping design, one which seems to create a seamless bridge between the home and the yard. Whereas, a deck or patio that is improperly designed can often become an eyesore that detracts from your desired goal. Choosing between decks and patios, or even a combination of the two can be a rather difficult choice for many people. Here are a few simple guidelines that can help you make that decision.
- Purpose. When deciding on whether you will be having a deck or patio you need to keep in mind what it's purpose will be. Do you want something that will be hosting parties, or something that can promote rest and relaxation after a hard day's work?
- Materials. There are all kinds of materials that you can make your deck or patio from. The most common of materials for decks is pine, while the most common element for patios is usually concrete. What is the look that you want for your deck or patio? Choose a material that will be consistent with the overall theme of your home, and one that will also fit into your landscape, while also being long lasting and easy to maintain. Remember that this deck or patio is something that will be serving as a transition between your home and your yard, and should be treated as such.
- Cost. Decks and patios can become pretty expensive, and even more so if you go for a custom design as opposed to one with a "cookie-cutter" look. When you are planning your deck or patio, price out different types of materials that will give you the look you want. If you are hiring a professional to do the work for you, make sure that you price out several different contractors before making your final decision.
- Design. There are several things that you need to consider when it comes to design. First is it something that will fit in with the design of your home? Will it be a design that adds to the overall look of your home, or is it one that detracts from that look? Is the design something that you will be able to accomplish, or is it something that you will have to hire specialists in order to make a reality? Finally, are you happy with the design? The one person that has to be happy with the design, more than anyone else, is you.
- Maintenance. Keep in mind that you will be conducting the maintenance on your deck or patio yourself. Wooden decks and patios typically require painting and sealing every couple of years, while concrete will need to be cleaned regularly as well. Are you up to maintaining and repair the new addition to your home? Choose one that you will be able to live with.
Decks can be a wonderful addition to any landscaping scheme, as long as they are decorated properly. Basically, ...
While many people may think that living in a heavily wooded area means that there is going to be little to no gardening, ...
Garden furniture is an important, and often overlooked, element of landscape design. While you may have the most ...