According to florists, the occasions most recognized with flowers are birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, and Mother's Day. Get Well flowers and funeral flowers also make up a large portion of flower sales each year. I'm sure that there are other occasions when you have had flowers delivered to friends and loved ones, but did you know that flowers have meanings, according to their color and name? Here are some popular flowers and the meanings associated with each:
- Carnation. Different colors of carnations mean different things. A white carnation means pure love, a yellow carnation means rejection, and striped petals stand for a breakup. If you want to break up with someone, you could send a yellow or striped carnation. But if you want to celebrate your true love, you could send white.
- Rose. Like carnations, different colors of roses mean very different things. Because there are so many colors in the rose category, their meaning runs the gamut from envy, jealousy, and spite, to pure love, congratulations, and friendship.
- Violet. Simplicity and modesty. The violet would be a good choice for a Mother to send to a daughter, celebrating her simplicity and modesty.
- Daisy. Innocence and loyalty. A bouquet of daisies is appropriate to give as acknowledgement of a First Communion, baptism, or christening.
- Iris. Friendship and valor. When you want to show a friend how much your friendship means, send a bouquet of irises.
- Daffodil. High regard and chivalry. Send daffodils when you want to show someone how much you respect and honor them.
- Tulip. Declaration of love. Did your second date go well and you want to see the person again? Declare your intentions with tulips.
- Sweet Pea. Bliss and delicate pleasure. When you want to tell a host that the dinner party was wonderful, send sweet peas within a bouquet.
- Snapdragon. Graciousness and desire. When a long box of snapdragons arrives, the recipient knows that they are desired above all others.
Instead of simply choosing to send flowers based on how pretty the arrangement, perhaps the next time you give flowers, you now will think of their meaning.
Choosing sunflowers over other flowers is a wise choice, as this plant is very versatile. It is considered to be both a ...
Whether you are looking to add a little extra zip to your garden, or to a gift you are giving someone, then understating ...
The Viking bellflower, also known as the Campanula Viking, is a relatively new hybrid perennial that you can now add to ...